Here it is! The animation I’ve been working on for the past three months and the first I’ve made for my Animation degree. It’s about Annie Besant, the theosophist.
I’ve went for a cutout style, which is an approach I haven’t used in a long time. It was supposed to save me time on animating, but I decided to use live action arms and mask them out frame by frame, which took FOREVER. I think it was an interesting experiment to mix live action and cutout animation in this way though, so I’m glad I did it.
I’ve learned so much about After Effects while making this animation! Things like the puppet tool, animated masks, 3D layers, particle effects, PSD compositions, parenting and loads more. I can’t believe I didn’t know all of this stuff only 3 months ago and had been using After Effects for two years before then.
Here is a quick walk cycle exercise I did for my course. I think its been much more successful than previous attempts. The feet seem to have a real sense of weight and the hands have some nice overlapping action going on. I’m gonna feel much more comfortable going into animating character walks now that I feel as if I can animate a standard walk.
We were asked to bring our peg bars and a ream of punched animation paper and this is what it was for. The model was asked to do thirty one minute poses in which she picked up a box, threw it away and then spun around. We had to draw each pose very quickly and at the end were left with thirty drawings that could be shot on 4′s under a line tester to create an animation.
I was genuinely fascinated when I first saw this after it came out of the line test. I was expecting completely random, jittery drawings all over the place as I thought I had struggled with this. Well, I had struggled with this while I was creating it as the size of the model was very erratic at first and I had to constantly correct myself. I would never have thought it would have fit together to create movement in such a readable way.
For our metamorphosis exercise, we were all asked to draw something simple and then duplicate it and hand it in. These drawings were then collected in and then re-distributed to the class so that everyone had someone two different drawings from around the class. We were then asked to metamorphosis one of our drawings into the other. I got an umberella with a face on it and a pig.
I think it could have looked better if I animated it so that it morphed at a constant speed, as it seems to go slower in the first half and faster in the second. I also think it would have been better if I added more inbetweens in the second half to create a more smooth movement. I know one of the problems is I was animating without a lightbox, but I think I still managed ok.
This is another exercise we did in our life drawing class. The model was asked to put her robe on, but pose in each key position for roughly three minutes. I composited my drawings together out of interest.
In our life drawing lesson we were put in a circle around the model. The model stayed in the same pose for about 20 minutes while each of us sketched her for roughly two minutes and then moved two seats to our left so we could sketch her again from the new position. The result of this is that we were able to analyse her form from all angles. I composited all of my drawings together to create this.